Kudos Corner, Conference Edition
By Monica Zinchiak, email@example.com
It was my great honor to present the 2015 President’s Award at the Annual Conference in Orlando. The official description of this award states that it is given "for exemplary service and dedication to QRCA.” The President’s Award often goes to someone who has a long history of contributions to QRCA and also to members who have done noteworthy efforts for QRCA. The 2015 winner, Rick Weitzer, exemplifies both reasons that people receive this award.
Rick Weitzer has been a member of QRCA for 17 years. In those years, he has served in many roles including leading the Public Relations and Industry Relations Committees; serving as a chapter chair; and recently, leading the Membership Expansion Task Force. To demonstrate why Rick was recognized with this award, some comments are shared below:
- “He has a way of organizing huge endeavors that make them manageable. He thoughtfully brought together a stellar team last year and then found a way to maximize everyone's strengths for the greater good of QRCA. He is a master at organizing people and then letting them shine!” Susan Sweet
- “Rick is an organized and effective leader who helps everyone stay on track and continuously move projects forward. His kindness, wit and ability to keep meetings on time make him a joy to work with”. Shannon Pfarr Thompson
It was an honor to present the President’s Award to my esteemed colleague, Rick Weitzer. Although he couldn’t be there in person, the Board shared the news via a call that was recorded to share during the awards luncheon. The entire Board joins with our members to congratulate Rick on this recognition!
Sidney Clewe is the 2015 Rising Star Award recipient! Since she joined QRCA in 2014, Sidney has been a passionate and active volunteer who has taken on critical roles with enthusiasm, dedication, and effectiveness. Some of the contributions that Sidney has made to QRCA since she joined:
- Helped to establish and serves as Co-Chair of the Rocky Mountain Chapter
- 2015 Chapter Success Task Force (CSTF) member
- Conducted research on behalf of the CSTF
Sidney received a beautiful “star award” at the Awards Luncheon on Thursday in Orlando and is a wonderful role model for new members, showing how getting involved can benefit members both personally and professionally.
The QRCA Board approved the Rising Star Award in 2009. Its goal is to provide recognition and incentive to QRCA members who have less tenure with the Association and yet have made significant contributions. The Board asks members for recommendations for this award, so please keep it in mind throughout the year as you observe outstanding volunteer efforts by our newer QRCA members.
Congratulations to Sidney on receiving the 2015 QRCA Rising Star Award. Thank you for your leadership on behalf of QRCA and its members!
Maryanne Pflug Spirit Award
It was wonderful to watch as a truly outstanding QRCA colleague, Marta Villanueva, received the Maryanne Pflug Spirit Award. This award has been presented each year since 2003 to honor the memory of a cherished member and her contributions to QRCA. This award is intended to uphold and celebrate QRCA’s cultural heritage of collegial commitment to the organization and its members.
Marta exudes the qualities and characteristics that Maryanne Pflug embodied: friendliness, creativity, commitment to QRCA, leadership, optimism, humor, mentorship, a passion for life, and unconditional positive regard for all. Here are some of the things colleagues said about Marta’s spirit:
- She is a ray of sunshine and a true lady with a pure heart of gold — she is super smart and experienced, yet she makes everyone feel warm and welcome at conferences.
- She is an iconic QRCA member who lives by the association's goal: to promote excellence in qualitative research by pooling experience and expertise to create a base of shared knowledge.
- She makes the time and effort to reach out to colleagues and check in on them, not for the sake of booking work but to genuinely know how they are doing.
- [When] I joined QRCA [I] knew nobody. I met her at the conference and, although not my official mentor, she immediately served as a one-woman welcoming committee, introducing me to others and selflessly offering to assist in my assimilation. Her optimism and passion for life are immediately apparent and contagious.
Marta was happy to receive the infamous Maryanne Pflug Spirit Award trophy — a HUGE martini glass — in honor of Maryanne’s favorite drink, which even made an appearance at the evening reception! I am grateful that I have gotten to know her and her spirit in many capacities over the years.
Congratulations to Marta on receiving the 2015 QRCA Maryanne Pflug Spirit Award, and thank you for your passion and leadership on behalf of QRCA and its members!
Cheers to those who made the conference, the conference!
A big shout-out to Kelly Heatly and Chris Kann for their leadership on the Orlando Annual Conference! From the Demo Connections to the educational sessions to the Glow New World party, the event was wonderful.
Thanks to all of the Annual Conference volunteers who worked so hard to make every detail of the conference a success for QRCA members.
Outgoing Board Members
It was my honor to recognize three amazing board members who have completed their terms on the Board this year after a combined 8 years of service.
Mark Sumpter served as treasurer, vice president and, last year, as president. His leadership and ability to get things done have made him a joy to serve with over the last few years. Thanks, Mark, for your dedication to QRCA and willingness to help in so many ways!
Susan Sweet shared her leadership, insights and enthusiasm with the Board and committees for which she was the board liaison. She will be missed.
Marc-André Leduc brought his unique perspective, ideas and joie de vive to every meeting and I am grateful for his service.
Back to Top