Qualitative research can help you…
- Develop hypotheses for further testing and for quantitative questionnaire development,
- Understand the feelings, values, and perceptions that underlie and influence behavior
- Identify customer needs
- Capture the language and imagery customers use to describe and relate to a product, service, brand, etc.
- Perceptions of marketing/communication messages
- Information obtained in quantitative study and to better understand the context/meaning of the data
- Generate ideas for improvements and/or extensions of a product, line, or brand
- Uncover potential strategic directions for branding or communications programs
- Understand how people perceive a marketing message or communication piece
- Develop parameters (i.e., relevant questions, range of responses) for a quantitative study
Situations where qualitative research is often used:
- New product idea generation and development
- Investigating current or potential product/service/brand positioning and marketing strategy
- Strengths and weaknesses of products/brands
- Understanding dynamics of purchase decision dynamics
- Studying reactions to advertising and public relations campaigns, other marketing communications, graphic identity/branding, package design, etc.
- Exploring market segments, such as demographic and customer groups
- Studying emotions and attitudes on societal and public affairs issues
- Assessing the usability of websites or other interactive products or services
- Understanding perceptions of a company, brand, category and product
- Determining consumer language as a preliminary step to develop a quantitative survey
Do not expect qualitative research to…
- Count, measure or offer statistical validation
- Determine the best product concept or price point; or establish the importance of specific customer needs or satisfaction criteria
- Be a substitute for quantitative research because of time and/or budgetary constraints when quantitative evaluation is critical
Still want to learn more about Qualitative Research?
At QRCA, our common language is all things qualitative.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION